Stanford Summer Engineering Academy (SSEA)
The Stanford Summer Engineering Academy (SSEA) was established in 1998 with the goal of attracting a diverse student body to the School of Engineering. We especially want to encourage women and minority students to apply to this rigorous introduction to our engineering, math, and physical sciences programs. The four-week, on-campus academy is free to newly admitted Stanford freshmen, who will be arriving on campus for the first time in the Fall. This year, the program will run from Sunday, August 3, 2014 to Friday, August 29, 2014. It consists of an intensive schedule of classes and activities and has room for up to 50 incoming, accepted freshmen.
This program is for Newly Admitted Stanford Freshmen only.
The online application will be available later in the year, and will be due by June 30th.
In SSEA, you can prepare for success:
- Get familiar with the academic principles required for success in the engineering, math, and physical sciences majors
- Explore the campus and its many resources
- Build a network of friends and faculty as you live on campus for one month
- Plan your four years at Stanford
SSEA presents a preview of what the Stanford School of Engineering offers:
- An overview of the SoE major programs to help inspire and define academic choices
- Exposure to engineering courses prior to your freshman year
The SSEA Program
The four-week SSEA program will cover bioengineering, biomechanical engineering, civil and environmental engineering, chemical engineering, computer science, electrical engineering, management science and engineering, materials science and engineering, and mechanical engineering, as well as math and physics. Click here to see sample Day in the Life Accounts and Favorite SSEA Memories from past SSEA participants.
The program provides:
- An overview of the engineering departments and degree programs from Stanford faculty
- An opportunity to get to know the campus and fellow students before fall quarter
- Room and board in a Stanford dorm for one month
- Hands-on engineering and science work, including lab projects and field trips
- Individual counseling sessions to plan your four-year curriculum
- An orientation to the many resources and programs offered at Stanford, such as the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) and Accelerated Calculus for Engineers (ACE)
- SSEA has both a morning and an afternoon session. The morning sessions cover a different engineering or science topic each day. The afternoon sessions consist of math, computer science, and a learning strategy class covering a wide range of subjects. Laboratory projects are included.
- Attendance in class is mandatory, approximately 7 hours each day.
- Team learning is taught and encouraged, and groups may work together to complete the daily assignments.
- Individual counseling appointments with Dr. Lozano and staff advising sessions are scheduled throughout the four weeks.
- Dorm activities will occur throughout the month (for example, Family Game Night and Ping Pong tournaments).
- Educational field trips to San Francisco and other Bay Area sites take place every Saturday -- attendance is mandatory.
- Sundays and most evenings are free time to explore our excellent campus recreational facilities, etc.
The application for SSEA 2014 is only available by invitation.
Inquiries regarding logistics may be directed to Nan Aoki, Administrative Associate, by email to email@example.com or in Huang Engineering Center 135.
Inquiries regarding acceptance, advising, and academic matters may be directed to Dr. Noe Pablo Lozano, Associate Dean of Student & Diversity Affairs and Program Director, at (650) 862-7063, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or in Huang Engineering Center 135.