Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Travel Information

Main content start

Where to Start

Once you have been accepted into a program, you can begin learning more about your destination by reading the U.S. Department of State’s Country Specific Information Page. On this page, you will find the location of the U.S. embassy in your destination country and any consular offices, visa information, crime and security information, health and medical conditions, localized hot spots and other helpful tips.

If you are a non-U.S. citizen, please contact the embassy or consulate of the country that issued your passport for more information on the country to which you plan to travel.

Travel Checklist

Once you have been accepted into one of our programs, you will be assigned a SOLO Pre-Travel Checklist that will prompt you with action items such as updating your passport, applying for a visa, informing Stanford of your impending travel, receiving the necessary immunizations, and many more! Check off each item as you get closer to your date of departure.

Travel Registry

Registering your travel plans with the Office of International Affairs on campus allows the university to find and support you in the event of an emergency. For many programs registering your travel is required, but when it is not required it is still highly recommended. To register, please use the link below. Once you have signed in using your SUNetID, please fill out the form provided. 

International Travel Registry

Register your travel with International SOS HERE


U.S. Department of State Travel Information

The U.S. Department of State offers a wide range of information to support your travels. Please look at your travel destination's information sheet to learn about warnings and precautions, as well as health and general information.

U.S.D.S Country Information Sheets

Center for Disease Control Travel Information

GEP recommends that you read the information about your destination on the CDC website at least 8 weeks before your date of departure so as to have time to receive any recommended vaccinations. The CDC website is the ultimate source for travelers health information.

Travelers’ Health — CDC

Visas and Passports


A passport is a travel document that functions as an official form of identification and allows the bearer to enter and depart most foreign countries. To participate in any University sponsored travel program, you must have a passport that is signed and valid for at least 6 months after the scheduled end date of the program.

For more information about how to apply for a passport or other passport requirements, please visit the following websites:

Office of International Affairs website: Passports

Bing Overseas Studies Program website: Passports


A visa is an endorsement sticker or stamp that is inserted by consular officials of a foreign country into a passport. This endorsement legally authorizes the bearer to visit, study, reside, or work in that foreign country for a period of time. It is always your responsibility to obtain the required visas before departing for your program.

For more information about how to apply for a visa or visa requirements, please visit the following websites:

Office of International Affairs website: Visas

Bing Overseas Studies Program website: Visas

Local Consulates for Global Engineering Programs

Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China

Consulate General of India