To set you up for success, the School of Engineering has student services staff in each department, an undergraduate handbook and the Office of Student Affairs to help guide your education choices.
Departmental Student Services
Your departmental program student services staff and advisor can provide invaluable advice and encouragement. Contact School of Engineering departmental student services staff to find out more about declaring a major or minor, choosing an advisor, finding research opportunities or applying to graduate programs.
Handbook for Undergraduate Engineering Programs
The Handbook for Undergraduate Engineering Programs website is the definitive resource for undergraduate engineers. Find useful information including:
- Details on all Engineering major, minor, and honors programs
- Academic petition forms for Program Deviation or Transfer Credits
- Major and Minor Program Sheets used to keep track of academic progress
- 4-year plan forms
- Policies and procedures that affect engineering students
- Courses approved for use in math, science, and other academic requirements
- How and where to go abroad for a quarter or the summer
- Pointers on career planning and summer options
- Advice on how to prepare for graduation
Engineering Office of Student Affairs
The Engineering Office of Student Affairs is located in the Huang Engineering Center Room 135. Come to us to:
- Get help with school-level policies or procedures
- Submit an academic petition for a requirement exception or to apply transfer credits to your undergraduate major
- Get answers about preparing for undergraduate graduation
- Pick up a printed copy of the Handbook for Undergraduate Engineering Programs
Most engineering departments offer Stanford undergraduates a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program, many with stipends to conduct research during the summer. The program is designed to give undergraduates an opportunity to work with faculty members and their research groups on advanced research topics.